Monday, December 31, 2012

Daddy's Girl

This quick and easy layout is simple, but tells the story. 
I ran across this photo a few days ago (I had an attack of get my computer files in order for 2013). It always makes me smile. The photo was made on Christmas Eve around 1956 at my Aunt Ola's home. I know Daddy must have worked all day, had just had a big Christmas dinner and was exhausted. I, on the other hand, was wide awake and ready to open presents!

Daddy loved Christmas, and this photo reminds me of all the things we loved. Because of space limitations, I couldn't list them all. I'm thinking I need to go back and add "..Just a few of.." to the beginning of that list, because we had so many things that we both loved and both loved to do (I'll save my first experience on the golf course at age 6 for a later posting).

Sometimes when we wait until we have all the right papers, a new bottle of glue or tape dispenser, the perfect embellishments, we miss the joy of preserving the memory. When you forget the little things, they are lost forever. The moral of this meandering thought? Forget about having the perfect everything and just get the memory down. If you want to add bling and more embellishments later, you can. We are not guaranteed that there will be a tomorrow. If you are the only person left with the memory of the photo's importance, it's up to you to record that memory. I'll step down off my soapbox now,

This page is an example of Down n' Dirty scrapbooking, and having the Get It Straight Laser Square from KellyCraft makes it so quick and easy. I printed out my page elements, trimmed them to size and then layered them all onto black cardstock, using the Get It Straight Laser Square to align the elements. Once this was done, it took less than 7 minutes to put this page together, and I was able to add an element of surprise (the angled bullets) easily, just by turning the orientation of my page in relation to the Get It Straight Laser Square.

TIP: If you design your page in a computer drawing program on a 12 X 12 layout, you can size your photos and journaling perfectly. Once you are happy with it, just change the page size to 8 1/2" x 11" (unless you are lucky enough to have a 12" printer) and place each element on the smaller pages to print. If you're making a smaller page, you can print the entire thing on one piece of cardstock.
Here's how I did it:
Supplies
Get It Straight Laser Square from KellyCraft
Bo Bunny 12 x 12 cardstock
Black cardstock, 8 1/2 X 11, 3 sheets
Cream cardstock, 2 sheets
Beacon ZipDry Adhesive
Want2Scrap Say It with Bling swirls and rhinestones

Assembly
1. Create headline and journaling on computer. Print journaling and the photo on cream cardstock and trim each piece.

2. Using the KellyCraft Get It Straight Laser Square, line up each element on black cardstock and trim.
Line up tags on black cardstock.


3. Using the KellyCraft Get It Straight Laser Square, place headline and photo on 12 X 12 cardstock.
Place headline and photo on page.


4. Turn the entire page to approximately 45° to the left. Use this orientation to place all the bullet journaling.
Turn page and use the beam to decide where to add your bullet tags.


Tip: Use repositionable adhesive to hold the page in place while to add the bullet points.

5. Add bling as desired.

It took me longer to write the directions than it did to create the page from start to finish.

What are your favorite childhood memories? Record them now so your children and their children will know what it was like in the "olden days" (My dad always laughed when I asked him about the olden days.).

Now, go hug someone you love and maybe make a scrapbook page about it.











No comments:

Post a Comment