Monday, April 29, 2013

Kelsey & Muffin


What is sweeter than a little girly-girl and a powder puff puppy? This beautiful child is my cousin Kelsey along with her pooch, Muffin. They paused playing long enough for me to take this pic several years ago. Incidentally, Kelsey is now a senior in high school and will be speaking at her graduation May 24th. We are all so proud of her!

Anyone who knows me knows how much I lover layers, layers and more layers. I think that may be the graphic designer in me popping out, but I just can't help it.

And what is the greatest invention since sliced bread for all us layer junkies? Why, the Get-It-Straight Laser Square from KellyCraft. It makes lining up all those layers a breeze!

NOTE: Any areas that don't look straight are all because of my photography.

Here's how I did it, along with my error cover-up:

Supplies
KellyCraft Get-It-Straight Laser Square
Patterned card stock, three sheets (Bo Bunny, Little Yellow Bicycle and Basic Grey)
Solid card stock, one sheet purple, one sheet white (Bazzill)
Paper scraps for die cuts
Spellbinders Dies
Spellbinders Grande Calibur
Duetica Lettering Arts Studio or printed title block
Adhesive (Zyron)

Instructions

1. Here's my error: I trimmed the sheet from Little Yellow Bicycle too short. I could have just joined the paper back together on top of the base sheet and added some type of embellishment (ribbon, foil tape, etc.), but I accidentally laid the extra strip down and it fell 1/4" to the left. I decided to use it to my advantage and create additional interest by adhering it so the background paper showed through.

Layer the papers and photo, adjusting the beam as necessary.
2. I layered each of the solid sheets  plus one patterned sheet to frame the photo.

3. I printed out my title on copy paper, then taped a sheet of the patterned paper to it and ran this back through the printer. That way, my title block is on a matching paper. I layered it onto purple card stock and added it to the page.

4. The finishing touches were the Spellbinders die cuts. I just dug through my scrap stash to find papers that matched, cut them out and adhered with my Zyron machine.

5. What? I forgot to journal? No I didn't. That little half-flower is actually a tag that holds all my journaling.

If you have a graduating senior, what would be a nicer gift than a small album with the story of their school years? This page took less than thirty minutes to assemble, thanks to the KellyCraft Get-It-Straight Laser Square. You could create one a day and have almost thirty pages in time for graduation!

No comments:

Post a Comment