Monday, November 11, 2013

Ruth's Jam Cake: Yum, yum!

I came up with an idea a few days ago to create an illustrated cookbook of family recipes that we traditionally have for holidays. I can't tell you how many times my son Michael has called to get my recipe for eclair pie or coconut cake or chicken and dressing. He needs this cookbook. I knew it would take a while, but wanted to make it really personal. I tried to think of all the ways I could make it special but was stumped on the format. Illustrations? Too much time involved. Plain recipe cards? Not for this artist. And then I thought, "Well, duh. I'm a scrapbooker. I teach scrapbooking." I just don't always connect the ease of creating pages with other tasks.

To make it even easier, I am limiting my pages to 8" x 8". That size is larger than a standard 6" x 6", which would require small type for these older eyes, yet not so big as to be unwieldy in the kitchen where a 12" x 12" book might require too much counter space just to keep it open.

My KellyCraft Get-it-Straight Laser Square makes lining things up quick and easy. (It actually took me longer to set the type and print out my recipe than it did to assemble the page.) The title block is set using the Duetica Lettering Arts Woodwynds font, one of my favorites and available only from Duetica.

Here's how I made the first of what I hope to be many pages for this personal cookbook:

Supplies
KellyCraft Get-It-Straight Laser Square
Solid Cardstock, Olive  Green, 8" x 8"  and scraps to die cut (Bazzill)
Printed paper, 7 1/2" x 7 1/2"
Printed Paper with doorway smaller than 6" tall (Bo Bunny)
Photo, fussy cut
Spellbinders Shapeabilities, Jewel Flowers and Flourishes, S5-168
Spellbinders Shapeabilities, Classic Scalloped Rectangles, S4-133
Dew Drops, The Robin's Nest
Glue Dots, large dimensional (for photo) and small flat for recipe card titles.
Score Tape, 1/2" width
Colorbox Pigment Ink, Chestnut Roan, pink, purple
Xyron Machine with permanent adhesive
Recipe and title block set on computer and printed on cream cardstock
Brown Sharpie, Fine Point

Directions
Note: All of the pieces are sponged on the edges with Chestnut Roan ink.
1. Line up the solid cardstock in the corner of the Laser Square. Set the guide at 1/4" and adhere the printed paper to the cardstock.
2. Use Spellbinders dies to cut three swirls (from green cardstock scraps) and two medium and two small scalloped squares (from printed paper scraps). Ink all the edges with Chestnut Roan ink. Run the swirls through your Xyron machine.
3. Line up the photo in the center of the arched doorway and adhere with two large Glue Dots. Line up the top of the doorway paper using the Laser Square and adhere. Adhere swirls around the photo.
4. Adhere title block to top of page, lining up the top of the block about 3/8" below the printed paper , which would be 5/8" from the top of the green cardstock. Add a portion of one of the die cut swirls to the block.
5. Adhere the recipe cards to the larger scalloped squares. Write "Jam Cake" and "Icing" on the two smaller scalloped squares and adhere just above the recipes.
6. Angle the top recipe card and adhere it to the page. Turn the page so that your Laser Square light lines up with the top of the recipe card. Bring the light guide down to about 3/4" from the bottom of the top card and adhere the second recipe. They will be aligned perfectly. The Laser Square makes this so easy!
7. Attach the recipe title blocks to each recipe and add Dew Drops randomly around the swirls.

Now, I know where to find this recipe when I'm ready to make this awesome cake and I won't mind anyone seeing my recipe book anymore, since the pages will be interesting and the sheet protectors will keep them clean. I have several that have been around for 40+ years and you can see fingerprints in flour, pastry, oil, etc. of the ingredients of the dish I was preparing at the time. (That may be sentimental to some people, but I'd rather leave a legacy of neatness.)

This book will hold a special place in my kitchen, reminding me of all the love that went into the preparation of each dish and the preparation of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment