Monday, September 24, 2012

“Onward to 6th” with Kellycraft™’s Get-it-Straight™ Laser Square


I heard all the buzz about the Kellycraft™ Get-it-Straight™ Laser Square at CHA this summer.  I saw the demo.  But, until I had it here in my own studio and actually had a chance for some hands-on use, I didn’t fully understand how much it would truly SIMPLIFY aligning things! 

For this “Onward to 6th” scrapbook layout highlighting my son’s first day of middle school, I wanted to incorporate not only the colors from his shirt, but the rough feel of the lettering in the background paper.  As Thomas loves to craft with Duck Brand Tape, I thought what better embellishment than colorful Duck Tape on the layout! 



Materials: 
Kellycraft™ Get-it-Straight™ Laser Square
12” x 12” Black textured cardstock
12” x 12” BasicGrey patterned paper
Assorted chipboard letters
Elmer’s Craft Bond Dot Runner Adhesive
Duck Brand Tape - black, orange, bright green, yellow, turquoise, purple
Westcott Premium TrimAir Titanium Paper Trimmer
Westcott Craft Titanium Non-Stick Scissors


Instructions:


To begin, I trimmed 3/4” off the 12” x 12” patterned paper.  
I wanted the top border of the paper to be straight,


 so I used my Get-it-Straight™ Laser Square to be sure I aligned the top edge of the patterned paper 
on the 12” x 12” black cardstock (offset to the right edge so a black border remained on the left).



The lettering was created with random styles of chipboard lettering, 
each roughly covered with black Duck Tape. 


 Most often when scrapbooking, I arrange my title lettering in a haphazard manner - not always because the design called for it, but because lining up each letter before stamping or mounting was cumbersome.  When it came time to align my title for this project, I popped the background papers into the Get-it-Straight™ Laser Square, and voila - in no time I had mounted the title nice and straight on the top of the layout.


I repeated the same procedure to finish the title in the lower right corner of the page.


Next came the bright, funky arrows to symbolize moving “onward” to 6th grade.   Aligning each strip of colorful Duck Tape was super easy with the Get-it-Straight™ Laser Square.  And, ensuring an equal amount of space between each of the arrows was also simple using the tool.  I created this layout in no time at all, with no stress about aligning things - yet the result is a perfectly aligned project.   All I can say is wow!


Happy crafting and remember to "dare to be different!" - Cindi Bisson

No comments:

Post a Comment