Saturday, February 15, 2014

'B' Is For Beyer-Get it-Straight with KellyCraft



When searching Pinterest for Christmas gift ideas, I came across an initial door hanging with a chevron pattern on it.  I immediately thought of my sister, Tracy 'B'eyer, and the idea that she could hang it in her classroom. So coming up with the idea, not so difficult. Bringing it to life, a little more so! But my KellyCraft Get-It-Straight Laser Square to the rescue!

Supply list:
Wooden Letter
Paint
Burlap Ribbon
Flower
Cricut Vinyl
Cricut Close To My Heard Artbooking Cartridge
KellyCraft Get-It-Straight Laser Square
Hot Glue Gun
Small Screws
Drill
Sandpaper

First step is to prepare the letter by sanding. Then apply your base color of paint. I chose this beautiful metallic gold because I felt it went with the bright green that my sister likes quite well. Apply as many coats as necessary to get your desired look and sand as needed.  Then you need to cut your stencil out of vinyl using the Cricut Artbooking cartridge. I cut multiple zig-zags so I would have enough for the entire letter.  And now for the part I never would have been able to do without my KellyCraft Laser Square! Getting the stencils straight on the letter!


Place your letter in your Get-It-Straight Laser Square. Slide your laser to your desired measurements to get the spacing you want for your stencils and stick them down. Continue this the entire letter. The Laser Square made it so easy to line up the points exactly straight all the way across the letter.


Once your stencils are all in place, it's time to paint the chevrons! This green is one of my sister's favorite colors right now, plus it really stands out against the gold metallic. Again, apply as many coats as needed for your desired look. Once the paint is dry, remove your stencils. Then apply your embellishments as you would like! I chose to make a bow out of a great burlap ribbon that matched the green and place a gold flower in the center. I attached both with hot glue. Now, using small wood screws, Jimbo (I'm not so good with the drill, so I had to enlist the expert for that!) attached another piece of the burlap ribbon to the back to create a hanger. Make it as long or as short as you like and even tie a bow on it. And you are done! A little time to create, mostly for letting paint dry! But not nearly as time consuming as it could have been if not for the KellyCraft Get-It-Straight Laser Square. Those chevrons would have been one crooked mess if not for the Laser!! My sister loved her gift, and I like it so much I see a 'K' being done in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment